FAQ: How do Medical Malpractice Attorneys Investigate a Case?
When a health care provider fails to deliver the “standard of care” and it results in harm, injury or even death, medical malpractice may have occurred. If you believe that you or a loved one has been the victim of medical malpractice, it is best to contact a law firm with experience handling medical malpractice cases.
According to medical malpractice Attorney James R. Howell of PHP Law Firm in Wichita, Kansas, the process of investigating a medical malpractice case is extensive. When investigating a potential case, our team at PHP Law Firm:
- Meets with the patient to get their story. Sometimes it is a good idea for the story to be both verbalized and written so they are sure to remember and share as many details as possible.
- Gathers both past and present medical provider information. This allows us to order the medical records, which often take 60-90 days to obtain.
- Interviews friends and family members who have relevant information.
- Reviews medical research that is relevant to the case.
- Reviews the medical records we receive.
- Puts together a highly detailed, chronological timeline of what occurred.
- Shares all the information we have gathered with expert witnesses, who are highly qualified individuals specializing in the specific field or fields related to the case.
After reviewing all the information, the expert witnesses let us know if they think medical malpractice occurred. Their opinions trigger the next steps, which could include proceeding with a medical malpractice lawsuit. To find out more about what happens after a case is filed, click here.
How Our Wichita Medical Malpractice Attorneys Can Help
The work involved in even investigating a medical malpractice case is extensive. At PHP Law Firm, we know that this can be overwhelming— especially as you strive to put your life back together. Our main goal is making it possible for the patient and/or their loved ones to move forward again, so we do not charge a cent unless we proceed with a lawsuit and win compensation for you.
Contact us directly at (316) 683-9080 to schedule a free consultation. Remember, no fees unless you are compensated!