If you have had a bad medical outcome or are simply not getting better, you may wonder if you have a medical malpractice case? Unfortunately, a health care provider is not likely to confirm the suspicion of medical malpractice, so discussing your situation with experienced medical malpractice attorneys in Wichita, Kansas, is recommended.
What Medical Malpractice Means
According to the Prochaska, Howell & Prochaska LLC Law Firm medical malpractice attorneys in Wichita, medical malpractice is when a health care provider fails to deliver the “standard of care,” and it results in harm, injury or even death. The “standard of care” is based on the education and training health care providers receive and is what a reasonable health care provider would do given the same or a similar situation.
Clues Medical Malpractice May Have Occurred
James R. Howell, a partner at PHP Law Firm, is one of the most experienced medical malpractice attorneys in Wichita. In his more than 30 years of practicing, Howell has noticed some common red flags. If you identify with any of the below clues, you should begin to suspect medical malpractice has occurred:
- Complications or injuries occurred that were not discussed as a possibility with you before the procedure.
- Complications or injuries to you occurred but not to someone else who had the same or a similar procedure.
- Someone in the know, such as a nurse, has hinted that you should not be experiencing a certain complication or that your health care provider should be handling your ongoing treatment in a different way.
- Your recovery or hospitalization exceeded or is exceeding the time the health care provider told you before the procedure.
- Your medical care team called in a specialist during your recovery but never discussed that there would be a need for one.
- Medical staff avoided or evaded answering questions about your recovery after the procedure.
- A family member unexpectedly died during or shortly after a routine procedure.
What You Should Do Next
Did you identify with any of the red flags above? If you believe that the “standard of care” was not delivered in your case, and it resulted in harm or injury, it is important to contact a medical malpractice attorney in Wichita immediately. Additionally, it would be wise to gather any related information and medical records as well as continue seeking medical care to ensure the best medical outcome. If this means getting a second opinion, it is best to do so.
How PHP Law Firm Can Help
When you contact the PHP Law Firm medical malpractice attorneys in Wichita, we can schedule a free consultation to talk through your situation with you before making a recommendation. If our medical malpractice team feels that you are the victim of medical malpractice and you would like to proceed with legal action, you will not be charged any fees unless we win compensation for you.
Contact us directly at (316) 683-9080 to schedule a free consultation. We look forward to speaking with you!